Self-Guided Wild Horse Tours
If you are up for an adventure, visitors can find the Corolla Wild Horses via self-guided tours with these tips and tricks!
Where to Look
- The Corolla Wild Horses can be found on the northern beaches of Corolla and Carova. This area is only accessible by four wheel drive vehicles because you must drive on the beach itself. Be sure you read our beach driving tips before setting out on your self-guided tour. Remember to attain either a map of the area or understand where the Public Vehicular Areas (PVAs) are on the beach. Some areas are restricted as a part of the Corolla Wild Horse preservation area. Be aware of posted signs.
- Whether you are in the PVA or on the roads of Corolla, watch for horses crossing the road, especially at night.
What to Do Once You Find Them
- Remain at least 50 feet away from the horses. Observe the horses at a distance that is safe for both you and the horses. State law requires you to remain 50 feet away from the wild horses at minimum. Citations will be issued to violators. Abiding by this law will help preserve the horses and allow them to continue enjoying their freedom in the wild!
- Please do not feed the horses. Feeding the horses is against the law and can endanger the horses since they may react to foods differently than humans.
Important Things to Consider
- Be sure to fill your gas tank before entering the Public Vehicular Areas on the beach.
- Consider deflating your tires to help your vehicle move more easily through the sand.
- Do not attempt to drive on the beach in a vehicle that is not four wheel drive.
- Stay alert and safe when driving on the beach. You will be sharing the beach with other vehicles, beach-goers, pedestrians, dogs and the Corolla Wild Horses.
Take a Guided Corolla Wild Horse Tour
If you don’t have a four wheel drive vehicle, or you’d simply like to relax and take in the scenery while a professional navigates the beach driving, consider taking a guided horse tour! It’s one of the most exciting things to do in the Outer Banks and is a great way to have fun with the entire family! You can make a day of discovering these majestic horses by seeing them in person as well as visiting the Corolla Wild Horse Museum. It offers the perfect place to learn about the herds, their origins, and even occasionally offers rides on tamed mustangs.
There are many guided tour providers located in Corolla, but remember these tours book quickly. It’s best to book your tour in advance. These excellent tour operators will provide an adventure you’ll never forget!
- Back Beach Wild Horse Tours
- Back Country Safari Tours
- Bob’s Wild Horse Tours
- Coastal Explorations
- Corolla Jeep Rentals & Tours
- Corolla Outback Adventures
- Corolla Wild Horse Tours
- Segway of the Outer Banks
- Wild Horse Adventure Tours & Art Gallery
If you are a nature lover, you won’t want to miss your chance at viewing the Corolla horses in their natural habitat! It’s one of the most unique Outer Banks activities you can experience! Take the opportunity to learn new things, obtain gorgeous pictures, and make lasting memories! Just be sure to follow the rules and regulations while visiting the horses and enjoy the wildlife and scenery!
For more information, stop by the Visitor’s Center in Corolla for valuable tips and information about wild horse tours and while you’re there, pick up the beach driving brochure!