You booked your vacation home in beautiful Corolla or Carova Beach. You set up the auto-response on your work email. You checked off every item on your packing and pre-trip lists and now you’re on your way to Currituck. We can’t wait to see you!
Wherever you’re driving from to begin your beach holiday here, you’ll expect some traffic. If you’re lucky, however, you may make good time and actually reach the Currituck mainland or arrive in Corolla before your designated check-in time. We understand you want to get settled in your accommodations as soon as possible, but don’t let that extra time between arrival and unpacking go to waste. There’s plenty to enjoy while your beach rental is readied for your family.
If traffic works with you this summer, park the car and step out into the sun. Here are some of our favorite ways to pass the time:
- Stock up on snacks. Did you eat all the car snacks and stowed-away treats on the drive down? Use this time to visit any of our local grocery stores, farmers markets, or seafood markets to fill the pantry. You may pass several markets and produce stands on the Currituck mainland as you come in, so if you’re making good time, pull over into one for some fresh fruit and veggies grown right here!
- Grab those last-minute essentials. Invariably, you’ll forget something. Sunscreen, an extra beach towel, sunglasses, what else? What you need for an unforgettable vacation, you’ll find at any of the shops and boutiques in Historic Corolla Village, Tim Buck II, Corolla Light Town Center or Monteray Plaza. It’s also never too early in the trip to pick up a few souvenirs.
- Somebody say ice cream? It’s your vacation…have dessert first! After a long drive, you deserve an ice cream/frozen yogurt break. Treat yourself to a cone or cup and cool off.
- Hit the beach. Our beautiful shores are one reason why you’ve come to Corolla, and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t get in some sun, sand and surf while you wait to check into your vacation home. You can use any of our public access points for some relaxing beach time – not a bad way to start your vacation!
- Visit Historic Corolla. One could spend hours exploring the many landmarks in the historic district. Climb to the top of the lighthouse, walk the grounds of the iconic Whalehead mansion and take the tour if one is scheduled, visit the Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education, or get a sneak peek at the newest addition to Historic Corolla Park – the Currituck Maritime Museum (opening July 16).
- Walk the Estuary path. For a serene, breathtaking experience with nature, the boardwalks of the National Estuarine Research Reserve Walk will take you around lush maritime forests to gorgeous views of the Currituck Sound. Look closely and you might spot an egret or pelican fishing for its supper.
- Download our new Corolla OBX app. Before you begin planning every minute of your week, make sure to download our new app, a convenient source to discover beach access points and safety tips, activities and attractions, restaurants, shops, local events, specials from our local partners, and much more!
Before you know it, you’ll have access to your vacation home and many days of surf, sun, and fun ahead of you to enjoy. For more ideas on creating your own Corolla and Currituck itinerary, browse our directory of attractions and restaurants, or explore our visitors’ guide or download our new mobile app.