We are days away from another summer of sun, fun family activities, and live music in Corolla and the Currituck Mainland. If you’re returning to the Northern Outer Banks this year, we hope to see you at some of our signature events. First time here? Let this serve as a quick guide to what’s happening in Currituck County over the next few months.
Summer in Corolla
When you’re not relaxing on the sand or watching out for our majestic Wild Mustangs, set aside a few days to spend in Historic Corolla. Weekly events held on the lush grounds of Whalehead include:
- Corolla Cork & Craft (Wednesdays from 3 – 6 pm, June 14 through September 13): Enjoy free live music, browse local artisans, and purchase wine and craft beer from area vendors.
- Corolla Cornhole Tournaments (Wednesdays at 3 pm, June 14 through September 13): Put a team together and compete weekly for prizes and glory. $20 registration fee per team.
- Yoga in the Park (Thursday mornings from 7:30 – 8:30 am, now through September 7): Bring your mat and water bottle to this free yoga class and stretch with the sunrise.
Two of the year’s biggest events also happen in Historic Corolla. The two-day Under the Oaks Art Festival features artists from across the region, a silent auction, live music, and food from local vendors. Our free annual Independence Day Celebration happens, of course, on the Fourth of July. Festivities begin at 5 pm and conclude with an amazing fireworks display.
These events aside, there’s much more to see and experience in Historic Corolla throughout the summer. Climb the Currituck Beach Lighthouse for breathtaking views of the county and beyond, explore our nautical history at the Currituck Maritime Museum, browse the unique shops in Corolla Village, and learn more about area flora and fauna at the Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education.
Summer on the Mainland
There’s no shortage of entertaining attractions and amazing food on the Currituck Mainland, either. This is the time to cruise down NC 168 and stop at some of our favorite places:
- Our wine, beer and spirits trail is growing! The mainland is home to Sanctuary Vineyards, Buffalo City Distillery, and Weeping Radish microbrewery. Pick up a six-pack or bottle of your favorite libation to enjoy, and check Sanctuary and Buffalo City for upcoming live music and other events at their respective venues.
- Summer produce is fresh for the picking at Currituck’s roadside farm markets! See what’s in season at Moyock Farm Market, Grandy Greenhouse & Farm Market, Powell’s Market, Tarheel Produce and Morris Farm Market. Here you’ll find everything from locally-grown fruits and vegetables to homemade baked goods, salsas and ice cream.
- Digger’s Dungeon and H2OBX Waterpark also offer family-friendly activities and entertainment, perfect for a day spent on the mainland.
If you’re looking for more ideas on how to spend your Corolla vacation, be sure to download the free Corolla OBX App and stay updated on events happening here this summer!