Shark attacks are rare, but they are most likely to occur under the conditions described below:
- Always stay in groups as sharks are more likely to attack a solitary individual.
- Do not wander too far from shore — this isolates an individual and additionally places one far from assistance.
- Avoid being in the water during darkness or twilight hours when sharks are most active and have competitive sensory advantage.
- Do not enter the water if bleeding from an open wound.
- Wearing shiny jewelry is discouraged.