The Currituck County Department of Travel and Tourism offers two programs to assist Currituck County community groups, non-profit organizations, and tourism-related businesses in promoting and marketing tourism and culturally related events, festivals and activities that will draw visitors and tourists to Currituck County. For purposes of these programs:
- An “Event” shall be defined as a new or existing organized sporting event, concert, exhibition, festival, fair or celebration which is conducted according to a prearranged schedule and is deemed to have the potential to attract visitation to Currituck County.
- A “Visitor” to Currituck County shall be defined as “anyone who does not reside in Currituck County and who travels to the County for the purposes of recreation and/or business.”
EVENT MARKETING ASSISTANCE
The Event Marketing Assistance program provides marketing funds for advertising and promoting events, festivals, special promotions or culturally related events and activities to Currituck County organizations outside the Travel & Tourism Department. To be eligible for these funds, the event, festival, or other special promotion must show that it will draw visitors and tourists from outside Currituck County. Funding for the Event Marketing Assistance Program shall be included in the annual Currituck Travel & Tourism budget in the amount of $20,000. Funding levels are based on the size of the event.
Marketing activities under this program include paid media advertising and promotional materials that will assist in drawing visitors and tourists from outside Currituck County.
Funding for any event in this program is for 3 years only. It is expected that, over the three years, the event(s) will become self-supporting.
Yearly funding is limited, so primary consideration will be given to projects that enhance the long-term growth of the tourism industry, will have the ability to draw visitors from outside the County and will have a positive economic impact on the local economy.
Criteria is as follows:
- Applicant must be in Currituck County or partnering with a County applicant
- The event must be held in Currituck County and open to public
- Majority of attendees must be from outside the Currituck County
- Tourism pays the media source or vendor directly – the vendor must have County approval for payment
- Tourism must be provided a booth or display area free of charge at or near entrance to event
- If the funding amount requested exceeds $1,000, the Tourism Advisory Board must approve the application at one of its quarterly meetings
- Organizers must submit a written report within 30 days of event
For the Event Grants program, Currituck Travel & Tourism is focusing on assisting non-profit organizations and for-profit businesses to produce quality events that will attract visitors to Currituck County. Funding for the Events Grant Program shall be included in the annual Currituck Travel & Tourism budget in the amount of $100,000. Grants will be awarded to individual events not to exceed $20,000. Individual organizations and businesses can receive more than one (1) grant per fiscal year, but the totals for the grants cannot exceed $20,000.
Unlike the Event Marketing Assistance program, funds awarded can be used for other established expenses as outlined in the Event Grants guidelines. Also, funds awarded are paid to the grantee upon presentation of approved paid invoices.
Criteria is as follows:
- Applicant must be in Currituck County or partnering with a Currituck County applicant
- The applicant must meet with Tourism Director
- Event must be in Currituck County and open to the public
- Additional consideration will be given to shoulder and off season events
- Majority of attendees must be from outside Currituck County
- Applications are accepted from March 1 to April 15 for events beginning on or after the beginning of the fiscal year of July 1
- The Tourism Advisory Board will evaluate each application received & make a recommend of funding awards to the TDA
- Application must receive the majority vote of the attending TDA for final approval
Guidelines and applications can be found at www.visitcurrituck.com/business-resources or by contacting Tameron Kugler, Currituck Travel & Tourism Director, at email@example.com or by calling 252-435-2947.