Planning a large reunion or a cozy lunch for two under the sun? Here are a few ideas to pack.
1) Shop local for good things to eat. Here in Currituck, you’ll find farmers markets offering fresh produce and local shops where you can buy wine and cheese and gourmet sandwiches. Catch the seasons right and you’ll enjoy fresh strawberries, blueberries, peaches and apples.
2) Reserve a shelter for a large party. If you’re bringing the extended family to the coast this year, see if you can reserve a shelter at any of the area parks (the Whalehead Club also has a shelter). Many have grills, so you feed the crowd hot dogs and hamburgers if you wish. Fees or deposits may be applicable, so check in advance.
3) Bring something to play with. Whether on the beach or at the park, if you have an expanse of space bring along a football or Frisbee to toss to the kids. Don’t have a ball? Try any of our local beach shops for the right gear.
4) Don’t forget sunscreen! This is important no matter where you go in Corolla and Currituck. Even on days where the breeze is particularly cool, the sun still shines. Don’t risk getting a nasty burn.
5) Mind the rules. In order to enjoy your picnic, and to make sure others do, be mindful of the rules and regulations in our public parks. The Currituck County site has a list you can consult anytime.
When you’re ready to get your picnic on, you’ll find everything you need here. Enjoy!